The 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set is a low heat 3d printing pen specifically designed for children. It uses use low-heat, BPA-free and non-toxic biodegradable eco plastic, making it completely safe for kids to get creative with.
The 3Doodler Start inspires creativity, design, planning, building and spatial understanding making it a fun and educational gift that both parents and kids will love.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)!
What Comes In The 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set
The 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set contains
- 3Doodler Start Pen
- USB Charger
- 48 biodegradeable Eco Plastic packs (eight colours)
- A template booklet and instructions booklet
The pen doesn’t come pre-charged so you will need to charge it (for about an hour) before you can use it. When you do switch it on the indicator light will be red to start with until it heats up enough to melt the plastic, at which point it will turn green. Then you press the large orange start button and you’re ready to create.
Drawing With The 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set
The booklet starts off with some different techniques you can use to help you draw. It’s actually quite tricky to make 3d shapes as you need to get a feel for how the plastic leaves the pen and sets so it does require a little practice and the flat project templates are easier to start with.
The plastic comes out of the pen quite quickly so you need to keep the pen constantly moving smoothly and steadily. A wiggly line is highly likely when you first start using the pen! But practice makes perfect and it doesn’t take long to master what you’re doing.
Be aware that there may be some remnant old colour in the pen whenever you want to change the colour of your rod. If enough of the old colour is left you can double click the orange button and this will reverse the plastic rod out of the pen allowing you to put a new colour in. But if the amount of plastic rod left in is too short the only way to get it out is by pushing it out with the new rod colour. And even if you can reverse a rod out there will always be a few cm’s of the old colour left. This can be useful for making transition colour blends.
Alternatively, rather than waste that plastic we always have a second multicoloured project on the go to use up any unwanted colour.
Once you’ve got the hang of the pen you can create your own templates to use or draw freehand. The plastic only sticks to itself so you can easily use other 3d objects as moulds to make shapes as well.
Watch the video further up in this post, to see the 3Doodler Essentials Pen Set in action!
- Start with flat traceable template projects
- Have a multicoloured project on the go at the same time to use unwanted rod colour.
- Remember that the plastic has approx 30 seconds before it goes hard so you can make some adjustments by hand.
- Hold the pen upright to get a steady flow of plastic.
- You only have enough charge to make one large project
- If your project falls apart it’s easy to glue back together with some more heated plastic using the pen
- Keep an eye on the nib of the pen and clean off any plastic that gets attached as it can attach itself to the plastic you’re creating with.
- Remember that when you change the rod colour there is always a little of the old colour left inside the pen that needs to come out first.
- Make sure you buy the 3Doodler Start plastic rods as other plastic rods won’t work including plastic for different 3Doodler products!
One thing to bear in mind is that the refill rods can be quite pricey and are hard to find in the UK. The best value I found and bought for the UK were on Amazon UK. Readers from other Countries try this Amazon link.
For more information, videos, Q&As and lots more fantastic design ideas, please visit the website: 3doodlerstart.com
Available from Smyths And Amazon and all good toy retailers.
For a chance to win your own 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set fill in the Gleam form below
– This giveaway is open to residents of the UK only.
– One winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
– The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If the winner does not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
– Your details will not be passed onto any third parties by BlueBearWood apart from the winner whose name and address will be passed on in order that the prize can be sent out.
– The winner will be sent ONE 3Doodler Start Essentials Pen Set.
– Delivery is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood and may take some time to arrive.
– Any damage or problems with the prize is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood.
– Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
– There is no cash alternative.
– Competition starts on 25/10/2019 – 10/11/2019 11.59pm.