This weeks Car Supper was based around some chicken vegetable rice (recipe towards end of post). Lots of rice dishes work really well cold, making them perfect for packed lunches, picnics and of course car suppers.
The Full Car Supper Contained
Chicken Vegetable Rice, Mini Corn, Fine Green Beans, Cherries, Banana, Jordans Frusli bar, Milk chocolate cookie, Water
I put the chicken vegetable rice in some pretty jam jars I’d saved and gave the girls some cute plastic Sundae Spoons (these are from Tesco) to eat it with. Jam jars with lids are great for serving food in and if you keep the lid it makes them easily transportable.
The loose fruit and vegetables was put in their drinking cups to transport.
And the cookie wrapped in some grease proof paper which then doubled up as a plate when they were eating it
A cute picnic for some hungry girls.
Chicken Vegetable Rice Recipe
Time: Takes approx 45 mins
2 cups of brown easy cook rice
Splash of olive oil
1-2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
1 heaped tsp ground tumeric
1 level tsp ground fennugreek
1-2 large skinless chicken breast chopped into cube sized pieces (use two if you like to have an abundance of chicken)
1 medium sized spanish onion finely chopped
2 medium sized carrots finely chopped
Frozen peas (add enough to get a good even distribution)
1. Cook the Rice
2. Whilst the rice is cooking add garlic to the oil and heat gently for a couple of minutes. Then add the rest of the spices and mix well with the oil.
3. Add the chicken cubes and cook for about 5-10 minutes making sure all the edges are sealed.
4. Now add the onion and saute gently (with the chicken) starting to turn transluscent.
5. Add the carrot and continue to saute every thing until the onion is fully cooked.
6. Add the cooked rice and mix well until everything turns a lovely golden colour. You may need to add a splash or water.
7. Finally turn the heat off from under your pan and add the frozen peas (I add enough to get a nice splash of green through the dish) and leave to cool. I don’t cook the peas as the heat from all the other ingredients will warm them through enough to defrost but keep them fresh tasting and not over cooked.
The rice worked it’s magic.
RoRo and RaRa stormed through their 200m badge at swimming and eldest powered through her 400m.