Having been very impressed with the Experimake Superb Sea Shaped Soaps Kit by Nickelodeon, Ro & Ra were more than happy to review another Experimake kit. This time they were sent the Experimake Scent-sational Spa Kit by Nickelodeon and they couldn’t wait to open it up and give it a go.
In case you didn’t know, Nickelodeon Experimake science sets have been designed by scientists to encourage kids to learn through play. There are quite a few different kits to choose from, all sold exclusively by The Entertainer and all aged 8-10, although older and younger kids would enjoy them depending on ability and interests.
The Experimake Scent-sational Spa kit contains materials to make; Fizzy bath bombs, Bath salts, Apple Hair & Body Wash, Exfoliating salt scrub plus there’s an extra project you can make using supplies from your kitchen!
What’s In The Experimake Scent-sational Spa Kit
Sea salt (100g)
Cleansing base (20ml)
Sodium bicarbonate (15ml)
Citric acid (10g)
Yellow cosmetic colouring (3ml)
apple fragrance (3ml)
Softening agent (5ml)
Foam Booster (5ml)
Small measuring cup with lid
Large measuring cup
1 plastic spatula
2 wooden spatulas (like lolly sticks)
2 plastic bottles (with lids)
Booklet/manual with instructions, safety information and educational support.
All the equipment comes carefully packed within cute illustrated, cardboard trays that can be used as desk tidy’s afterward (as mentioned in the previous review, I love this!).
A key part of any creative kit whether it’s craft or science is the instruction manual. The ScCent-sational Spa kit comes with a ‘bumper’ user manual that not only contains easy to follow instructions along but is crammed full of other helpful and interesting info …
– Advice for supervising adults
– Safety rules to follow
– Chemical data and warnings for all ingredients
– General first aid info
– Extension kit ideas using additional ingredients from the kitchen
– Educational support in the form of a periodic table, bathing & spa facts.
What Did We Think?
The girls really enjoyed making this kit. They particularly like having lots of little bottles of materials that hey had to measure out and mix depending on the experiment.
The instructions were easy to follow and the tools easy to use which meant they could crack on and make everything on their own without any help from me.
Making the shampoo/body wash was their favourite experiment to do because there were lots of ingredients to use and they had never made anything like it before.
The bath bombs were a little disappointing, partly because the coarse salt was a little too coarse and partly because bath bombs are notoriously difficult to make. Thankfully it wasn’t a major big deal because they had so many other things to make.
And that I think is what’s key to these kits … there are always plenty of fun ‘making and investigating’ to do. So even though the fizz bombs failed they had lots of fun discussing what they would do differently next time and how they could improve the results.
Each crafty experiment has a little scientific explanation with it that you can use to extend the project a little and they give you an ideal formulation for making more. Perfect for discussing the differences/similarities between these and recipes for baking!
And although the coarse salt ran out there were plenty of other ingredients left to make more ‘spa’ goodies once we buy more salt.
Experimake Scent-sational Spa is another great STEM based kit that kids can DO, LEARN from and have FUN with! It’s currently only available from The Entertainer toy shop priced at £20
If you liked this you make be interested in my other craft kit reviews.
Now one lucky reader can win their own Experimake Scent-sational Spa Kit. All you have to do is follow the Gleam form below.
– This giveaway is open to residents of the UK only.
– One winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
– The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If the winner does not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
– Your details will not be passed onto any third parties by BlueBearWood.
– The winner will be sent ONE Experimake Scent-sational Spa Kit.
– Delivery is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood and may take some time to arrive.
– Any damage or problems with the prize is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood.
– Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
– There is no cash alternative.
– Competition starts on 06/11/2017 – 26/11/2017 11.59pm.