Make this adorable Mini Glass Jar Sea Aquarium using the handful of beach day souvenirs (seashells, seaweed, sea glass etc) from day trips to the coast. It needs to be completed over a couple of days due to drying times but once finished you have an adorable keepsake ornament for your home. I used Gorilla Glue Clear that was sent to me for the purpose of trying it out on a craft project. The great thing about Gorilla Glue Clear is that it dries clear and sticks pretty much everything making it perfect for this kind of project. The only thing to bear in mind is the drying time of 2 hours (although depending on what you’re don’t have to wait this long for every step).
To Make The Mini Glass Jar Sea Aquarium You Will Need
Sea Shells, small pebbles, seaweed, beads, sea glass or water ever other treasures you find
Coloured crafts sand (I used fluorescent blue, yellow and green)
Gorilla Glue Clear – UK Amazon
Small glass jar
Old small paintbrush (white spirit to clean unless you’re throwing it away
1) Using a paintbrush paint the area of your sea using the Gorilla Glue making sure you don’t go to high up as you want to be able to peer inside the jar. Leave the neck of the jar as you want that to be covered with yellow sand. Pour in your blue sand, put the lid on and gently shake the sand around the glass until all the glue is covered. Pour out excess sand and leave the jar to dry for about half an hour. The glue won’t have totally set but it will be firm enough for you to start the next sand layer.
2) Now paint the neck of the jar with glue. Pour in the yellow sand, put on the lid and again carefully roll/shake the yellow sand over the glue until it is covered. Pour out any excess and leave to dry.
3) Carefully cover the inside of the jar lid with glue and then cover with yellow sand. Make sure you leave a gap around the edge so that lid can still be screwed onto the jar. Again leave for about half an hour.
4) Finally, paint some seaweed type shapes with the glue above the blue sand. Fill with green sand, put on lid and gently roll the sand around the jar until the glue is covered. Pour out and leave to dry for a couple of hours until the Gorilla Glue has totally set.
5) When the glue has set, rinse the inside of the jar with water to remove any loose sand and set somewhere warm to dry.
6) Now use the Clear Gorilla Glue to create a centrepiece for the middle of the Mini Glass Jar Sea Aquarium. You’ll probably need to do this in stages to allow the glue to set the pieces but I found that the max I had to wait was an hour and that was only for the really delicately glued pieces. I also alternated between decorating centrepiece and decorating the inside of the glass jar (see further down this post).
7) When Decorating the inside of the jar I used wooden skewers to place the glue and move the shells and beads into place. You need to rest the jar on it’s side and for the pieces to start to set before you can decorate all the sides.
8) Once all the pieces have set and the glue is completely dry you can put the lid on and you have an adorable mini glass jar sea aquarium keepsake.
Gorilla Glue sent me a free sample of Gorilla Glue Clear for the purpose of making this craft.
Now as you may know Gorilla Glue have a great selection of quality products and they have generously donated a fantastic ‘Gorilla Glue Toolbox” for me to give one of my lucky readers as a prize. All you have to do is fill in the Gleam form below.
– This giveaway is open to residents of the UK only.
– One winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
– The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 3 days of competition ends. If the winner does not respond within 28 days another winner may be chosen.
– Your details will not be passed onto any third parties by BlueBearWood apart from the winner whose name and address will be passed on in order that the prize can be sent out.
– The winner will be sent ONE Gorilla Glue Toolbox.
– Delivery is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood and may take some time to arrive.
– Any damage or problems with the prize is not the responsibility of BlueBearWood.
– Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
– There is no cash alternative.
– Competition starts on 05/09/2018 – 26/07/2018 11.59pm.