I cannot believe it’s taken me so long to get round to making my own handmade peppermint lip balm. It’s so easy to make, full of wonderfully nourishing ingredients and makes a great present.
You’ll need …
- 20g beeswax
- 20ml coconut oil
- 20 ml Almond Oil
- a couple of drops of Vit E oil (optional)
- 10-20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3-5 drops of essential tea tree (optional)
- bain marie (small saucepan of boiling water with heat proof bowl placed on top)
- small containers for the lip balm
- plastic pipette or syringe
Bring the water to boiling point with the bowl on top of the saucepan. Once boiling turn the heat off and add the bees wax pellets to the bowl. When the bees wax has melted mix in the coconut oil, almond oil and VitE oil (optional) and finally the peppermint and tea tree oil (if using).
Using a pipette or syringe transfer the the melted lip balm solution to your containers and leave it to set for about an hour.
A Few Pointers
- The more peppermint you add the more tingle you’ll get on your lips.
- Tea tree oil isn’t necessary but I like to add a few drops because of it’s antiseptic properties.
- Putting less almond oil in will make the balm slightly harder which is good for lip balm tubes.
- Keep the bowl over the heated water whilst you transfer it into the containers to stop it setting.
They make great gifts for teachers, school, friends, colleagues, friends, family etc just make sure you give a list of ingredients as well.