This Papier Mache Paste Recipe is really easy to make. It just simple household flour and water but creates a really strong starchy glue that’s perfect for Paper Mache projects.
I don’t really follow a recipe but as a general rule I use 1 part flour to 4-5 parts water.
Depending on the quantity of paste you need to make you can use anything from a coffee scoop to a cup.
You’ll also need a saucepan to gently heat the paste.
How To Make Papier Mache Paste
The method is really similar to making a white sauce for cooking.
- Add a scoop of flour to a saucepan and add an equal measure of water.
- Mix together making sure you smooth out any lumps.
- Gently heat the mixture on a low heat until it thickens and turns a translucent colour.
- Keep adding a little more water at a time making sure that you get all the lumps out until you get a white sauce/custard consistency.
- Remove from the heat and pour you finished papier-mache paste into a bowl to cool.
To store it cover with cling film and keep in the fridge.
The video below explains in more detail how to make and if you’re looking for some great papier mache craft ideas then have a look here.