This Peanut Butter Tomato Sauce is quick, thrifty, nutritious and tasty. You can’t really go wrong unless of course, you don’t like peanut butter or tomatoes!
I picked it up many years ago when I was at University and needed low budget, energy boosting food to cook. It’s now become a firm family favourite and larder staple.
To Make The Peanut Butter Tomato Sauce You Will Need:
- 1 large onion,
- Peanut Butter (smooth or crunchy),
- 2 cans of tomatoes or a jar of Passata,
- 1-2 tsp ginger,
- 1-2 large clove of Garlic,
- Fresh or powdered chilli (optional),
- Parmesan or cheddar cheese.
1. Chop the onion and garlic and add to saucepan with ginger and chilli (optional). Saute gently until the onions are lightly cooked. Whilst the onions are gently cooking put the pasta on.
2.Add a large dollop of peanut butter to the onion mix when cooked with a splash of boiling water. Don’t add too much peanut butter as the peanut flavour can over power the tomato. You can always add some more a little later on.
3.Stir and keep adding water until the peanut butter becomes a thick paste and coats the onion.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes or passata and simmer for about 10 minutes. If the tinned tomatoes lack flavour add some tomato puree and/or a little sugar. You can tweak the taste by adding more peanut butter or tomato depending on whether you like a sweeter (more tomato) or more savoury (more peanut butter) sauce.
5. Serve with flakes of Parmesan cheese (use a vegetable peeler).
6. A tasty nutritious and thrifty meal that kids love!